The Young Leaders Program is for young people aged 16-25 years who live, work or study in the City of Greater Dandenong. The program provides a unique opportunity for participants to work with likeminded individuals, develop leadership skills, and make a positive impact by planning and delivering community projects.
2021 Young Leaders Program
- Be a voice for your peers and advocate on local youth issues
- Develop leadership, communication and teamwork skills
- Increase your understanding of Local Government and interact with Councillors
- Gain hands-on project management experience and contribute to the development of your community
How can I get involved?
- When: Weekly on Tuesdays, starting 20 April 2021
- Time: 4.30pm - 6.30pm
- Ages: Young people aged 16-25 years who live, work, study or have a significant connection to the City of Greater Dandenong.
- Registration essential
Applications for the 2021 Young Leaders program are now closed. To express your interest to participate in next year's program, please email your name and contact details to firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 9793 2155.
Find out more information
For further information, please contact Youth and Family Services
2020 Young Leaders Projects
Each year, the Young Leaders are supported to research, plan, deliver and evaluate community projects. The following youth-led projects were undertaken in 2020.
Healthy Minds, Healthy Lives
The Young Leaders designed and facilitated a wellbeing workshop for newly arrived young people, teaching practical strategies to help individuals adapt to the negative impacts of COVID-19 and promote positive health and wellbeing. 90 students from Noble Park English Language School participated in the workshop, where they had the chance to learn about mental health, connect with local support services, and practice a range of fun self-care techniques.
Youth Leadership Forum
Recognising a need to amplify the voices of young people, the Young Leaders developed a Youth Leadership Forum to create a platform for young people to come together and discuss important youth issues. 50 student leaders from 8 secondary schools participated in the event, exploring solutions for a range of problems relating to mental health, youth employment, and equity and discrimination. Young people's feedback was generated into a set of recommendations, which has been shared with Council and participating schools, so that decision-makers can understand and better support the needs of young people in Greater Dandenong.
2019 Young Leaders Projects
Community Safety Project
The Young Leaders’ community safety project, Youth Exceeding Expectations, aimed to challenge community perceptions of young people as the perpetrators of antisocial or criminal behaviour in Central Dandenong. The group delivered a ‘pop up event’ at Dandenong Station, to positively activate the space and engage with commuters.
Mental Health Project
The Young Leaders identified the impact of technology and social media as an emerging challenge influencing young people’s mental health. Their approach to address this challenge included:
- Delivering a Safe Socials Workshop for young people 12-16 years, to help mitigate the risks and pitfalls experienced when engaging online.
- Developed Beyond the Screen – a tip sheet on how to manage the use of technology.
Beyond The Screen Tip Sheet - 4.8MB
- Presented to youth professionals at the Greater Dandenong Youth Network during Mental Health Week.
Health and Wellbeing Project
The Young Leaders produced a life skills resource to support newly arrived and migrant young people who have a caring role. The Young Leaders recognised that these young people can often take on additional responsibility in supporting their family as they settle in Australia. The resource includes information relating to healthcare, mental health, employment, health eating and financial management.